Baby Boomers: Don’t Let Appearance Stand in Your Way!
By Barbara Jaworski
- investing in a contemporary but age-appropriate business wardrobe. I always advise job seekers of any age to purchase a new “interview” outfit – from shoes to shirt. Knowing you look good always gives your confidence a boost.
- getting a professional to style or colour their hair. Many of us in our 40s and 50s are stuck in a time warp where our hair is concerned. Consider updating the ‘do.
- investing in new eyeglasses.
- staying fit. It's more important to come across as a high-energy person than looking younger. Exercise, eat right and get enough sleep. And if you’re overweight, shed some pounds.
- whitening your teeth. Your smile is one of the first things people notice. As we age, our teeth can become discoloured.
The first things you do after entering the interview room is smile and extend your hand. You want that hand to look as polished as the rest of you. And ladies, no overlong, brightly coloured or appliquéd nails.
And, no matter how old you are, don’t wear perfume or cologne to any business interview or meeting. Some people are allergic and some may simply dislike your choice of scent.