An Overview of Canada’s Foodservice Landscape

An Overview of Canada’s Foodservice Landscape

If you’re hungry for a job, Canada’s the place to be. We have more than 184,000 foodservice operators nationwide.

This includes roughly 84,000 restaurants, 10,000 hotels, and 50,000 food retailers. Plus 24,000 education institutions, 6,000 healthcare facilities, and 4,000 bars that serve food. Figures are according to CHD Expert, a global foodservice data and analytics company.

In the restaurant segment, approximately 55% of outlets in Canada are considered Full Service Restaurants (FSR), and the remaining 45% are Limited Service Restaurants (LSR). FSRs offer table service and the bill is paid after food is consumed. With LSRs food is paid for before it is served.

While our country may be most widely known for both its European-inspired and French Canadian cuisine, the menu types that are the most popular in terms of total number of units showcase a nod towards Italian, American, and even Asian flavors.

Ontario is the province with the most restaurants in Canada with approximately 37,000 units. Quebec and British Columbia both have about 17,000 restaurants each.

Not surprisingly, 1/3 of Canadians have worked in the restaurant industry. There are more than 1.2 million foodservice jobs here, a good number of them in restaurants.

Do you like to cook your food fresh? There are nearly 20,000 grocery stores across the country, along with over 4,200 supermarkets. That doesn’t include such outlets as farmers markets or bakeries.

From a career perspective, there are all sorts of foodservice jobs posted on Monster.ca. Whether you enjoy helping people satisfy their hunger, quench their thirst, or cater their affairs, there’s a job you can sink your teeth into.

You may also want to read

Comments

By commenting, you agree to Monster's privacy policy, terms of use and use of cookies.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Find Better

Register