Jobs in Corporate Social Responsibility
By Mark Swartz
Here’s a way to make a difference while making a living. Careers in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) exist within the private sector, government and not-for-profits.
CSR is the set of activities and instruments a company uses to focus on a triple bottom line: People, Planet and Profits. That may include equal pay initiatives, encouraging employee volunteering, supporting not-for-profits that better the world, practicing resource and environmental sustainability…it’s a broad and growing field.
Jobs in CSR
In a related Monster.ca article, jobs with the word “ethical” in their title were discussed. Now it’s positions that incorporate the phrase “corporate social responsibility.”
These range from paid internships requiring little or no experience, to senior roles needing years of related practise (and possibly an advanced degree).
What follows is a sampling of such job postings, from across Canada, found recently on Monster.ca. They’re listed in ascending order of experience required, from none to five years or more.
Years of Experience Needed: 0
Intern, Corporate Social Responsibility
An 8-month internship for a post-secondary student to help increase our capacity to monitor, measure, and report on our sustainability commitments. Reports to the Analyst, CSR Reporting and assists in publication of our Annual Sustainability Report.
* Contribute to timely and accurate data collection and analysis at the corporate and site level
* Aid in the maintenance of our centralized sustainability management software
* Currently enrolled in a post-secondary program related to CSR, environmental science, sustainability, Aboriginal affairs, business, and/or other relevant fields
* At least basic understanding of Global Reporting Initiative sustainability frameworks
Years of Experience Needed: Entry Level
Coordinator, Corporate Social Responsibility
Reporting to the Manager, Corporate Social Responsibility, this position assists in gathering sustainability information and research both internally and externally, for the purpose of preparing CSR reporting documentation.
* Assist in writing, editing and proofing a variety of CSR reports and documents
* Support research and general administrative requirements for our sustainability efforts
* Bachelor’s Degree with a focus on CSR, Political Science, Economics, Communication, Design, Technical Writing, Journalism, or related field
* experienced in writing and designing presentations, reports and info graphics
Years of Experience Needed: 2 - 3
Corporate Social Responsibility Project Manager
As Manager of Partnerships and Engagement, you will drive our early strategic alliances, brand partnerships and stakeholder communications related to a global Sustainable Development Goal campaign.
* Identify and cultivate new marketing partners, and design and execute partner campaigns
* Communicate the value of empowering CSR to connect with Millennial markets
* At least several years of experience in strategic sales or business development aimed at high level executives
* A related post-secondary degree is preferable
Years of Experience Needed: 5 Or More
Senior Corporate Social Responsibility Specialist
* This position will partner with the Director of Communications and the executive team to define and implement a comprehensive CSR program to drive positive social, economic, and environmental impact.
* Collaborate with key stakeholders to identify industries of interest and define a methodology to evaluate and activate mentorship and incubator programs
* Establish CSR governance and ensure internal and external compliance to achieve targets
* Bachelor's degree in Environmental science, Business, Communications, Engineering, or a relevant field, MBA an asset
* Ability to enforce a systematic approach to mapping and understanding a company's social and environmental impacts and the stakeholders that will be affected
Interested in a Corporate Social Responsibility Career?
If you’re a student inclined toward sustainability and business, check out your local chapter of NetImpact.org. It’s an organization that connects undergrads, grads, business people and faculty to promote CSR.
At the professional level, there are numerous associations centered on social responsibility. They provide great opportunities for networking and learning.
Corporate Social Responsibility can be a satisfying way to earn your keep. Imagine making good money and not having to work in a job that goes against your ethics.