A Substation Electrical Designer (Physical or P&C) will perform various phases of planning drawing, layout, site evaluations, wiring, structural and foundation drawings and designs of Physical or Protection/Control packages as part of a project team. This position will work on various projects with a diverse portfolio of project types and clients.
- Design various electrical projects including creating electrical schematics, grid plan layouts, AC/DC systems, lighting systems, protection and controls, and site and facility design. Follow all company, client and project design and drafting standards.
- Execute variety of electrical design assignments using prescribed methods and standard techniques including drawing sequence and presentation, sizing various system components and refining rough sketches.
- Execute changes to designs or sketches and redlines or mark-ups on ongoing projects.
- Analyze reports, drawings and tests to plan and design projects.
- Interpret and incorporate design codes and specifications related to design requirements.
- Review design drawings for quality assurance within scope, budget and schedule. Perform project tasks and assignments within budgeted hours and deadlines.
- Compute volume calculations for conduit/grounding layouts, equipment and panel wiring diagrams and relay panel schematics.
- Organize and maintain all revisions of project drawings, plot files and project-related information are stored in a logical and well-structural manner.
- Responsible for clear and concise written and verbal communications, as it relates to the project client coordination.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in drafting technology or related field and two years related experience or associate's degree and three years related experience or four years progressive detailing and design experience.
- Advanced understanding of design software such as: AutoCAD, MicroStation, Mathcad and Excel to develop the design deliverables. Ability to learn and effectively utilize new design software programs. ACADE is a plus.
- Advanced ability to utilize 2D applications to prepare engineering drawings. Ability to utilize 3D applications on the physical design side is strongly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge in design, calculations and design systems.
- Physical Design Applicants: Ability to take various conceptual SLD, layouts through detailed design including plans/section, grounding, conduit, details, BOMs, etc. Experience with lightning protection/lighting/grounding modeling is a plus.
- Protection and Control Design: Ability to take various relay one-lines through detailed schematics design. Ability to take schematic design through detailed wiring design. Experience with AC/DC calculations, cable length determination, conduit fill calcs, etc. is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge in the theory and practices of assigned discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including, but not limited to Project Managers, Engineers and Designers in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
If you or anyone you know would be interested, please reach out to Spencer at email@example.com