- Adhere to legislation such as the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Labour Relations Act and Employment Standards Act.
- Coordinate, develop and deliver Health and Safety training and education including conducting initial new hire Health and Safety orientations and conducting training in targeted program areas (e.g., Forklift certification, Working at Heights, lockout, etc.) as required.
- Develop and continuously improve compliance training programs and ensure training records are tracked and maintained (e.g., forklift operator certification, first aid certification, etc.). Schedule re-certifications, book courses and create job postings as required.
- Take a lead role within the Stampede Meat North COVID-19 response team. Assisting with employee communication, document updates, as well as enforcing expectations to all employees
- Develop and implement Emergency Preparedness Plans, lead associated site-specific drills, and group specific trainings.
- Manage regional workplace injury claims and Early SafeReturn to Work (ESRTW) processes including preparing and submitting all related government required documentation; maintain regular communication with medical professionals, injured employee, and management; appeal claims decisions and work with various workers' compensation representatives to resolve claim related issues. Work collaboratively with management to create and monitor RTW plans, track progress and update management and workers' compensation representatives.
- Work collaboratively with Payroll/HR Coordinator to create and monitor RTW plans, track progress and update management and workers' compensation representatives; support RTW planning for STD/LTD claims
- Lead Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings and follow up and drive communication on identified issues.
- Develop and deliver engaging trainings for employees, management, and Joint Health & Safety Committee (JHSC) members to ensure compliance with legislative requirements and continuously improve and promote our Health and Safety culture
- Act as Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) subject matter expert. Train, advise, coach, and mentor management with respect to their roles and responsibilities in OHS.
- Lead development, support, and execution of workplace inspections and follow-up processes
- Act as primary contact for government inspectors, if required, during critical incidences and government inspections. Support and advise management on associated orders and required actions.
- Ensure pre-start Health and Safety reviews occur and are properly documented for all new equipment/machinery, prior to employee use
- Oversee Contractor Safety Program. Work collaboratively with relevant managers to ensure program is consistently updated and appropriate documentation has been signed off on and received.
- Work alongside external contractors who are conducting health and safety management systems audits or assessments, (i.e., ergonomics, hygiene testing, etc.)
- Adhere to the food safety required as per job duties and reporting nonconformities.
- Monitor developments in OHS legislation to assess business impact and response; anticipate and develop related regional strategies and programs.
- Provide semi-monthly Health and Safety communication email to our production team, identifying any statistics, trends, announcements, or other important information.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Minimum of 5 years Health & Safety experience in the Manufacturing Industry (Food Industry experience is considered a strong asset)
- In depth knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), WHMIS and all other workplace Health and Safety regulations
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in taking a lead role in WSIB claim management and the ESRTW process.
- JHSC Certification
- Possess or be in the process of obtaining the Certified Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation is considered a strong asset.
- Experience working in a unionized environment would be considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work with individuals at all levels.
- Strong presentation skills, time management, and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
We would like to thank all applicants for your interest in working as part of our team! Only those applicants selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Stampede Meat North Inc. is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment and selection process. Applicants should advise Stampede Meat North Inc. if you require any type of accommodation during the recruitment process.