309A Electrician - Construction and Maintenance - Greater Toronto Area
Toronto Electrical Contractor
An Electrician - Construction and Maintenance plans, assembles, connects, installs, repairs, inspects, tests, verifies, and maintains electrical systems in various settings (i.e. residential, commercial, institutional, industrial). He/she measures, cuts, threads, bends, assembles and installs conduits, electrical conductor enclosures and supports. Electrical systems include heating, lighting, power, communication, control, security systems and renewable energy and energy storage systems. Specifically, an Electrician - Construction and Maintenance:
- lays out, assembles, installs, repairs, maintains, connects and/or tests electrical systems
- plans installations from blueprints, sketches and specifications, and installs all electrical and electronic devices
- systematically diagnoses faults in electrical and electronic components, as required
- measures, cuts, threads, bends, assembles and installs conduits and other electrical conductor raceways
- splices and terminates electrical conductors
- tests electrical and electronic equipment to ensure that they are functioning properly
Electrician — Construction and Maintenance is a trade regulated by the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009. Qualified individuals may obtain a Certificate of Qualification, which confirms its holder has the skills, knowledge and experience that meet industry standards of practice for the trade.
In order to complete an apprenticeship training program in the trade, individuals must become members of the Ontario College of Trades (the College), and apprentices must remain active members for the duration of their apprenticeship.
Upon completing an apprenticeship, the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) will issue an individual a Certificate of Apprenticeship. Upon passing the trade’s certification examination and meeting the College’s registration requirements, the individual may apply to become certified and registered as a journeyperson in the trade.
Electrician — Construction and Maintenance is classified as a compulsory trade, which means that individuals working in the trade are required by law to be members of the College. In Ontario, the trade is part of the Interprovincial Red Seal Program—the national standard for the trade across Canada —under the title Construction Electrician: www.red-seal.ca.