Apprentice or Journeyperson Welder
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Position: Regular / Full Time / Night Shift
Positions Available: 12
Waiward is a respected construction and maintenance service provider that operates one of Canada’s largest fabrication shops based out of Edmonton, Alberta. Our mission is To Be Your Trusted Partner which ensures we act with integrity in all that we do. Through planned growth and development, we have kept our commitment to provide our customers with an unsurpassed level of service. Waiward’s historical and future success is grounded in our collective commitment to our core values.
At Waiward, we believe a diverse and inclusive workplace is the key to unlocking the full potential of our people. It is essential to build a team that represents the communities and clients we are serving. We attract, hire, and develop people of all backgrounds and ensure fairness and inclusion within our hiring processes. We believe in investing in people based on their expertise, capabilities, aspirations, and performance despite their race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
As a leader in our industry, we believe diversity and inclusion strengthen our team and are committed to making sustainable progress in our company and the communities and clients we serve. With the support of our leadership team and peers, our people are encouraged to share their perspectives.
The Welder is responsible for fusing metal components and other metal parts together for construction and/or fabrication.
- Displays a commitment to Waiward’s incident-free vision, values, and culture
- Reads blueprints and specifications
- Fuses metal components using the SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, and MCAW process
- Grinds, stamps, cuts and drills material
- Operates tools and equipment including overhead cranes, oxy-acetylene torches, gouging equipment and sub arc welding machines
- Attends daily toolbox meetings
- Completes tasks with minimal NCR’s
- Properly and consistently documents and follows established procedures
- Wears the appropriate personal protective equipment at all times
- Maintains good housekeeping in work area
- Reports personal injuries, no matter how minor, and obtain medical attention as required
- Consistently follows and encourages shop rules
- Willing to work overtime when required
- Must be a registered apprentice, an Alberta-certified journeyperson, hold a valid recognized credential, or possess the skills and knowledge expected of a journeyperson
- Basic Rigging Course an asset
- FLHA Training an asset
- Certified Overhead Crane Operator an asset
The incumbent is required to work in the fabrication shop with moderate noise and numerous hazardous fumes.
The incumbent is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: viewing paint specifications for extended periods of time; and extensive reading. The incumbent is also required to stand and sit for extended periods of time and will require good physical attributes for walking on uneven ground, climbing, confined space entry, limited lifting, and sitting.
*Please note that only qualified candidates will be contacted. Waiward is an equal opportunity employer.