Certified Red Seal Truck & Transport Mechanic
Miller Waste Systems
Title: Certified Red Seal Truck and Transport Mechanic
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Reporting to: Shop Foreperson
Shift: Day Shift (Mondays – Thursdays from 6 am – 4 pm, and Fridays from 6 am – 2 pm)
Start Date: To be determined
$32.62 per hour +$1.00 shift premium
** Miller Waste Systems is an ESSENTIAL SERVICE PROVIDER, tool and boot allowance**
In the position of Shop Lead Hand your responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Review and organize work according to Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports
- Repair waste vehicles and trucks, including troubleshooting of hydraulics and electrical systems
- Ensure that all equipment, vehicles and work areas are in compliance with all safety policies and regulations at all times
- Diagnose and rectify faults, and address service calls and/or break downs in a timely fashion
- Minimize equipment downtime, and ensure the fleet is ready to start working by 6 am
- Certify that the fleet meets corporate appearance standards
- Liaise with Operations Supervisors and drivers in a professional and team-oriented manner
- Liaise with outside vendors
- Maintain all equipment records and files
- Ensure that the shop and surrounding grounds are clean and organized at all times.
- Ensure that all work is performed safely, cost effectively and in a timely manner
- You will be required to conduct preventative vehicle maintenance according to established MWS policies and procedures.
- Additional projects and duties as assigned
The successful applicant will be comfortable with prioritization, planning, coordination, and organization, with an ability to respond and adapt in changing, high pressure environments. This individual will be able to assess problem situations, recognize issues, and use judgment to create solutions that meet required standards.
- Red Seal Certificate as Truck & Transport Mechanic or a Red Seal Transport Trailer license
- Valid drivers' license with Air Brake endorsement
- Strong technical knowledge
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Willingness to take on new challenges and grow with experience
- Computer knowledge and excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Must have flexibility and available to work late when trucks are behind schedule, and on rare occasions be available for weekend work
- Work independently
- Previous leadership experience is considered an asset
Miller Waste Systems Inc. has been in operation since 1961. Miller is a leader in waste management and diversion, providing governments and industries with a wide range of services in the provinces of Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Manitoba. Miller has over 50 years' experience in the waste management sector, and currently operates out of more than 30 locations. This position will be located out of our facility in Dartmouth, NS.
In the position of Shop Lead Hand, you will be responsible for leading the day-to-day operation of the day shift of the Dartmouth Shop until the afternoon shift arrives. The incumbent will oversee shop throughput, repair quality, and shop safety daily. The Shop Lead Hand will be required to service, diagnose and complete preventative maintenance repairs to waste collection vehicles (chassis and packer systems) while working closely with the facility and shop maintenance team. This position reports directly to the Shop Foreperson, however you will also act as Shop Foreperson when required. You will ensure and reinforce a positive work environment and high-performance team culture to deliver superior customer service.
Miller Waste Systems strives to be ‘only the best'. As a privately owned and operated Waste Company we have 50 years experience of providing quality service to all our customers. We have been successful in achieving this goal by providing a family and employee centric environment at all our locations. By providing an industry leading work environment and compensation, benefits, and pension programs, Miller Waste continues to grow our business.