Construction Safety Coordinator
What are we about?
At Salit Steel we believe that people are our most valuable asset and that everyone on our team plays a unique role in contributing to our overall success. We are always looking for diverse and talented people who are interested in joining the Salit Steel family.
We are an integrated network of companies and partners that delivers steel solutions in North America. Now in our fifth generation, we have been family-owned and operated since 1905. We consider our customers, industry partners, and employees all to be a part of the Salit Steel family.
As a dynamic organization, we continue to evolve into new markets and develop products to better serve our customers, and we always stay true to the strong set of values that are the foundation of our business. We are passionate about delivering outstanding service and building strong relationships. In addition, we are committed to finding new ways of doing things that are better, faster and more cost-effective to provide our customers with efficiencies, new products and the best experience possible.
Headquartered in Niagara Falls, Ontario, we have operations across Ontario, as well as in Quebec, Western Canada and the US. No matter what our customers need, we either stock it or we will source it. We make sure our customers have exactly what they need, where they need it, when they need it. We operate steel service centres and provide reinforcing products including stock and fabricated rebar; as well as offering specialty products including assembled rebar, stainless steel rebar and mechanical tube.
Why join us?
- A values-driven, team-oriented environment – we are like a family
- Competitive salary and benefits with RRSP matching
- Opportunities for growth and development
- A fun place to work!
Do you have what it takes?
Reporting to the Health & Safety Manager, the Construction Safety Coordinator is accountable for the implementation and direction of Health & Safety programs and processes in order to ensure an effective, safe, healthy and productive work environment. This role will assist in improving safety performance by enforcing a consistent company-wide strategy, identifying best practices and continuous improvement initiatives, as well as building and maintaining a strong safety culture.
- Monitoring of all job sites to meet or exceed H&S policies, procedures and programs; as well conduct safety audits
- Responsible for ensuring that all safety legislation is adhered to and practices and policies are adopted
- Plan, implement and monitor preventative measures that the company is required to follow as per the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Construction Safety Regulations
- Supervise risk assessments and provide guidance on how risks could be reduced
- Assist management in outlining safe operational procedures that identify and remedy all relevant hazards
- Ensure regular site inspections to ensure that policies and procedures are being properly implemented
- Develop practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting effective health & safety practices
- Tracking and development of training metrics
- Ensure that records of inspection findings are taken and that reports are prepared recommending improvements
- Liaise with officials from the Ministry of Labour to ensure the organization is compliant with mandatory regulations
- Oversee accident investigations, produce subsequent reports and make recommendations
- Train supervisors to facilitate the weekly safety talks
- Facilitate, in conjunction with management, the company’s Early and Safe Return to Work program
- College diploma or certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
- N.C.S.O Designation would be an asset
- 3+ years of experience in Health & Safety focused role
- Experience in an industrial, manufacturing or construction industry
- Exposure to unionized, multi-site environment considered an asset
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to influence all levels of the workforce
- Excellent understanding of Incident Investigation / Root Cause Analysis / Auditing
- Comprehensive understanding of legislation, regulations, theory, and case law
- Good working knowledge of standard office computer technology such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other common applications
- Must be able to spend majority of time travelling between sites