Electric Motor Repair Technician
ABB Electrification Industrial Solutions (ELIS) empowers smarter business operations by connecting equipment, software and services to protect, control and optimize assets within electrical infrastructures. The business provides customers, across various industries, with end-to-end product and service solutions that help ensure the reliability and protection of their electrical infrastructure.
As the Electric Motor Repair Technician, you will perform all necessary operations required to make electrical repairs to large complex AC and DC Rotating equipment, for industrial, utility or transportation constructions, with random or form wound stators, rotors or armatures.
- Preliminary test and diagnose to determine condition of equipment electrically, mechanically and dimensionally and the probable cause of failure and malfunction
- Dismantle and strip down in proper sequence and if necessary prepare sketches and/ or drawings and notes to assure proper sequence of re-assembly, electrical connections etc
- List defective or damaged components on inspection sheet and record pertinent information required to make and/or purchase replacement parts
- Inspect bearings, shafts, bushings, commutator etc., for wear and defects
- Perform all operations required to make the necessary electrical repairs such as:
- Clean slots, check for damaged punchings and repair or restack if required
- Make and /or insert coils, fillers, wedges, apply lashing and bracing as required and connect, (may involve brazing and/ or tig welding)
- Perform appropriate intermediate tests as required
- Dip and bake or VPI
- Re-assemble and check to ensure bearings, end play etc., meets specified tolerances
- Final test
- Touch up and paint with spray bomb
- Skid and prepare for shipment
- Must perform all operations without supervision and direct the activities of lesser skilled employees and helpers as required
- Candidate will be required to complete job routings and maintain accurate records of inspection and repair activities
- Candidate must follow company procedures and participate in team administrative duties
- Must maintain cleanliness and general appearance of their designated work area, general shop facility, vehicles and surrounding work area
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Work overtime as required
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment; good team player
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have the ability to interpret diagrams and/or constructive drawings
- Red seal certification
- Ability to use a variety of precision measuring equipment (electrical test equipment, vernier caliper, micrometre, feeler gauge, etc.)
- Computer literacy would be an advantage for some shop processes and possible internal/external communication (MS Office, Excel, PDF)
- Willingness to travel and perform customer site work as necessary
More about us
Named to Forbes 2020 list of top 15 employers in Canada, ABB values the dedication, commitment and expertise of our employees. ABB is an Employment Equity Employer and believes in an inclusive and diverse workforce. Committed to ensuring that all policies and practices respect the Employment Equity Program, we aim for our workforce to be truly representative of the four designated groups; women, aboriginal people, members of visible minorities, and/or persons with disabilities. ABB will provide reasonable accommodation to applicant with disabilities and encourage applicants to self-identify in the application process.