Environmental and Health and Safety Coordinator (*1 Year Contract*)
Reporting to the Director, Environmental and Health & Safety, the Environmental and Health & Safety (â€œEHSâ€) Coordinator provides technical guidance to operations teams to support implementation of EHS policies and procedures, best practices, the internal corporate safety system, and support CAPREITâ€™s compliance with legal and regulatory requirements across the Netherlands and Canada.
- Research EHS standards for all jurisdictions in which CAPREIT operates and advise internal stakeholders on applicable statutory and regulatory requirements;
- Assist in developing, implementing, maintaining, supporting, and continually improving corporate and operations EHS policies, programs, procedures and related documents including manuals, plans, and guidelines;
- Monitor employees and vendors for compliance to safety procedures, regulatory requirements, and EHS management system;
- Coordinate the implementation and maintenance of an internal hazardous materials management system, as directed;
- Prepare documentation for submission to regulatory bodies, as directed;
- Work with the operations team to ensure safety processes are being followed and are working as intended;
- Maintain an inventory of compliance documents;
- Prepare / update monthly, quarterly and annual reports, as directed.
- Intake all incidents and assist in incident investigations, as directed;
- Analyze incidents for trends, non-conformity with the safety system or opportunities for improved safety processes and report findings to the Director EHS (quarterly).
Program Development & Implementation
- Assist in the preparation or update of programs and procedures (i.e Asbestos, Confined Space, Spill Control, Mould Management, etc.);
- Ensure all locations have current documentation, at all times;
- Assist operations personnel with implementation of the EHS programs.
- Prepare and send consultant tenders/requests for proposals for EHS projects;
- Assist with the preparation of consultant tenders/requests for proposals for EHS projects;
- Coordinate environmental projects (e.g. historical soil surveys, exploratory soil surveys, Phase I ESAs, Phase II ESAs, site remediation, hazardous materials surveys/abatement, etc.), as directed;
- Review environmental reports to provide summary and next steps for acquistions, financing, general due diligence, and development;
- Track projects and budgets while ensuring consultant purchase orders and invoices are entered properly in procurement system;
- Maintain environmental inventory with including summary reporting;
- Coordinate environmental insurance for acquisitions, disposition, claims, and incidents.
- Plan, coordinate, and participate in health and safety training, as directed;
- Assess training courses for compliance to legislation and make appropriate recommendations for new or additional training.
- Bilingualism in Dutch and English is required
- University or College education with a focus in EHS or similar discipline;
- 3 to 5 years of related experience, preferably within a real estate setting;
- Familiarity working with vendors to manage supply chain risks;
- Experience with and knowledge of historical soil surveys, exploratory soil surveys, Phase I ESAs, Phase II ESAs, remediation, risk assessment, etc. in financing, acquisitions, and general due diligence;
- Demonstrated knowledge of occupational health and safety legislation;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Excellent time management skills; delivering on multiple deadlines;
- Dutch and Canadian knowledge of environmental regulation is an asset;
- Excellent presentation and communication skills;
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills are required;
- Valid Driversâ€™ license
- Some periodic travel;
- Available to be on call as part of emergency response;
- High sensitivity to timelines with moderate overtime required from time to time.