At Aramark Canada, our people are important to us. Our 14,000+ team members coast to coast; deliver experiences that enrich and nourish thousands of lives every day through innovative services in food, facilities and uniforms. To show our employees how much we appreciate their efforts, we do everything we can to make sure they feel included, supported and encouraged. Aramark Canada proudly partners with world class post-secondary institutions, world renowned hospitals, major league sports venues and leading global businesses. As part of a global team that spans 19 countries and has over 200,000 team members; we strive to achieve a safe, diverse and inclusive workforce that our employees can be proud of.
Learn more at www.aramark.ca
Reporting to the Food Safety Manager, the Food Safety Specialist will support the development and execution of Aramark policies, programs and standards across a variety of food service operations across Canada to reduce food safety exposures, injuries, and negative brand impact. The successful candidate will work with a diverse North American Safety Risk and Control team, other stakeholder departments and field operations to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and Aramark standards and procedures. You will have a desire to build and strengthen food, occupational and environmental safety culture and help drive our operations towards Target Zero: no harm to people or the environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support development, maintenance, and deployment of food safety program tools and resources; work with other Aramark departments to maintain alignment and support front-line operational safety needs.
- Provide technical expertise as it relates to food service regulations, food-related risk and exposures. Render guidance to field management and corporate leadership/support to inform the decision-making process.
- Assist with strategies to improve food safety performance benchmarked to the food safety metrics that will help protect our customers/business and contribute to business growth.
- Provide input on food safety initiatives and development of standards and procedures as required by the Food Safety Manager.
- Manage field level inquiries requiring support, such as crisis response or food-related claims.
- Assist in resolution and escalate to Food Safety Manager where appropriate.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with operations management, clients and external resources such as vendors or government authorities.
- Review food safety results with appropriate business partners and operations; support corrective actions where required.
- Partner with the business to support clear understanding of corporate standards and procedures to drive change in culture, including sharing health and business implications associated with food safety risks.
- Measure, monitor and evaluate effectiveness of Aramark SAFE through SAFE Engagement activities, internal food safety assessments, and third-party audits.
- Support in training operations on food safety and OHS compliance topics.
- Support other SRC initiatives, including support of occupational safety programs and safe engagement activities, as required.
- 4 - 7 years of food safety, environmental, and / or safety experience
- 2+ years’ experience in food service operations
- Bachelor's degree (Food science, Public health or safety related discipline preferred)
- Strong knowledge of federal, provincial and municipal food safety regulatory regulations
- Familiarity with food safety principles and management programs (for example: HACCP, GMP’s, IPM, ISO, Allergen Management)
- Understands how to interpret, apply and explain safety standards, regulations and policies
- Strong reasoning skills and demonstrates ability to influence without formal authority
- Works effectively with a team
Please note all candidates considered for hire will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.