Health & Safety Coordinator
Lafarge Canada Inc
As the global leader in innovative and sustainable building materials, weâ€™re committed to shaping a greener, smarter and healthier world. At Lafarge Canada Inc., safety comes first, collaboration matters and diversity is celebrated with people who share our desire to continually make our materials better.
Do you have the drive, the skills, and the passion to join us?
Provide guidance, assistance and development to operational leadership in areas of safe work process, health & safety policy implementation, legislative requirements, training requirements, and inspections. Provide expertise and mentoring in the area of operational health and safety. Ensure appropriate safety training, practices, policies and procedures are in place to avoid preventable health and safety occurrences.Responsibilities:
Safety Field Leadership:
- Work with the Business Management Teams and Health & Safety Manager to ensure implementation and ongoing improvement of safety, health and loss control processes and systems within the assigned regional areas.
- Provide on-going, in-field coaching to operations on legislative and corporate safety requirements and expectations.
- Coach, guide and assist site personnel in understanding their responsibilities related to management of safety, health and loss control issues.
- Develop and maintain a positive and proactive relationship with site management, employees and local regulatory agencies.
Health & Safety Systems:
- Participate in the effective execution and delivery of safety programs and communications to support the Lafarge Health and Safety Management System (HSMS).
- Work with the Health and Safety Manager to identify system, program and training needs and ensure they are in line with the requirements of the HSMS.
Claims and Return to Work Management:
- Assist with follow-up on audit recommendations to ensure all items have been completed on time and assist with removing any barriers to completion.
- Support site management to ensure the early and safe return to work for injured employees. Support claims management process at a site level
- Assist in the development of safe work processes for manufacturing, maintenance and operational functions with a focus on high-risk activity.
- Participate and assist in the development and sourcing of new safety products ensuring effectiveness, consistency, and financial prudence.
- Assist management with reviewing Improvement Plan objectives, identifying improvement areas and developing action plans.
- Develop and deliver safety related training modules and programs reflective of applicable legislative requirements and corporate safety policies, procedures and practices.
Reporting & Analysis:
- Collection, analysis and distribution of health and safety KPI information. Development of custom reporting to present statistical information in a meaningful format.
Relationships with Other Jobs:
- Work closely with site-level and unit-level management on implementation of Health and Safety Management Systems, Processes and Training.
- Engaging, coaching and influencing the site, area, and functional leaders with the health and safety activities and processes with an aim of 75% of â€œface timeâ€ in the field within area of responsibility.
- Work with Health and Safety Manager in determining Business Unit priorities and developing policies/procedures.
- Interface with peers in other areas in the development of programs and systems.
- Assist Human Resources / Labour Relations on the safety and loss control aspects of the following HR/LR-related programs:
- Worker Compensation Program
- Return â€“ to â€“ Work (Light / Modified Duty) Program
- Occupational Medical Evaluation Program
- Consequence Management Program
- Ability to work flexible hours as dictated by the requirements of the position, including extra time at peak intervals
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and manage multiple activities
- Mature attitude and ability to work effectively independent of supervision
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to attend to detail, ensuring accuracy and timeliness
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to relate to persons at all corporate levels, with diverse educational, socioeconomic, and ethnic backgrounds
- Timely and sound decision-making skills
- Proficiency with various computer applications is a definite asset.
- Familiarity with OHSA and regulations (mining, industrial & construction) including LOTOTO, Confined spaces (CS), guarding and Working at Height (WAH)
- Bilingual in French and English is an asset.
- Grade 12 Diploma, College Degree or equivalent experience (i.e Safety, Industrial Health or Risk management)
- A minimum of 2-5 years of relevant safety or industry experience required
As we are reinventing the way the world builds, we need world-class talent to join our Lafarge Canada team: people who are passionate, driven by curiosity and keen to grow, learn, develop and thrive in our high-performance culture.
Whatever you do, you will make a difference here. Because we know that your passion and curiosity are the natural resources the world needs.
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Lafarge is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages the applications from women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Lafarge Canada Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. In Ontario, our organization/business is committed to fulfilling our requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Lafarge Canada is committed to providing a safe environment for employees, customers, contractors and vendors. As such, in keeping with the requirements of our industry associations, partners, and clients across Canada, Lafarge Canada has implemented a COVID-19 vaccination policy intended to reduce the spread of COVID-19. As of October 1st, 2021, all new employees joining Lafarge Canada, subject to any requirement to accommodate pursuant to applicable human rights legislation, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.