Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
Marshall Canada is located in Ottawa, ON and Abbotsford, BC and provides military and commercial customers with a range of world-leading applied engineering services and product solutions across Canada and beyond.
Marshall Canada requires a Lead Technical Writer in Ottawa or Abbotsford to lead the technical publications team and produce technical publication changes for various customers. As the Lead Technical Writer, the successful candidate is responsible for:
- Leading and motivating the Marshall Canada Technical Publications team, managing performance and driving engagement
- Producing and authoring a series of technical publications in a timely and efficient manner to provide a quality service for internal and external customers
- Overseeing deliverables and ensuring technical publication changes are delivered to time, cost and quality standards
- Developing and managing technical publications procedures, work instructions and guidelines required to ensure the publications group is effective and efficient and in compliance with ISO9001/AS9100 requirements
- Ensuring technical publications capability and capacity is maintained in accordance with the requirements of the business
- Ensuring the team completes technical activities in a manner that is compliant with internal processes and procedures and external standards to ensure compliance
- Providing support to projects utilizing own technical knowledge to ensure projects have the required engineering/technical inputs
- Maintaining an awareness of industry developments and identifying any areas for continuous improvement opportunities
- Engendering a culture that promotes Marshall Canada core values and ethical business behavior in a tolerant workplace free from discrimination, violence and harassment
- A degree, diploma, or certificate related to Technical Writing/Publications or a related field, or have equivalent knowledge gained through other forms of education or training
- Minimum of 10 years of experience producing technical publications
- Demonstrable experience successfully leading a team within a technical publications environment for authoring and illustration
- An understanding of Configuration Management and the incorporation of amendments into existing military technical publications
- Advanced skill in publishing software and programs related to technical publications, including Microsoft Office suite and FrameMaker is essential
- Experience interpreting engineering drawings for transition into publications would be an asset
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to communicate/present complex information concisely; fluent written and oral English is mandatory and proficiency in technical French is beneficial
Depending on the specific project(s) assigned, the following clearances may be required:
- Must be eligible to meet the requirements of export control regulations and security regulations, including the Canadian Controlled Goods Program and Canadian government security requirements.
Marshall Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request, for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.