Manager, Financial Accounting & Reporting
Community Care Access Centre
Manager, Financial Accounting and Reporting
Home and Community Care Support Services Centralplays an important role in Ontario’s health care system by coordinating quality in-home and community-based care for over 1.8 million people living in the highly diverse communities of South Simcoe, York Region, North York and areas of northern Toronto. We help people of all ages understand and choose from a wide range of health, community and social services, so they can live independently at home for as long as possible.
Are you looking to advance your career while making an impact within the health care system and patients we serve? If yes, then this is where you want to be! This is an exciting opportunity for a forward-focused finance manager to join our team at time of transformation and modernization. If you excel at leading others, but still enjoy being hands-on, utilizing your lean/six sigma, project management and team-building abilities, we welcome your contribution.
Under the general guidance of the Director, Finance, you will provide oversight of the internal and external reporting requirements, coordinate and oversee the year-end audit process, manage the month-end process, and provide exceptional customer service to internal and external clients. Your focus will be on select special projects related to internal controls and process design and improvement. Among other priorities, you will take initiative to redesign workflows, find efficiencies in business processes, leverage technology and innovative solutions to enhance accounting and reporting.
Location:11 Allstate Parkway, Markham, ON (currently working remotely)
- Manage the month-end, quarterly, and year-end reporting processes, ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Act as the designated subject matter expert on all financial reporting and general ledger structure activities.
- Assist the Finance Director with the year-end audit.
- Prepare or approve monthly account reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts.
- Be responsible for all treasury-related activities, including managing the accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable and cash management functions.
- Ensure compliance with legislation for the deduction, reconciliation and remittance of all statutory deductions and filing of required reports to government agencies and other organizations.
- Monitor and analyze department processes and procedures to develop more efficient, effective, and controls-based procedures.
- Ensure high standards of control are in place to safeguard confidentiality and segregation of functions to reduce privacy breach and fraud.
- Provide training to new and existing staff, as needed, on reporting, accounting guidelines, and systems.
- Assist the Finance Director in preparing Audit Committee and other Board-level materials.
- Prepare the financial and statistical trial balance submission to the Ministry of Health.
- Prepare the Declaration of Compliance and be responsible for system of internal controls.
- Work with direct reports to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor, and advise on, the progress to enhance the professional development of the team.
- Collaborate with other Finance managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Respond to inquiries from the CFO, the Director, and other department heads regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Support the Finance Director with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or commerce (Master’s level degree is preferable).
- Designation as a Chartered Professional Accountant.
- At least 5 years of financial accounting and reporting experience.
- Health care experience would be a definite asset.
- At least 5 years of experience with managing the accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable and cash management functions.
- Proactive self-starter, with the ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Deadline focus, and proven ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Extensive experience in PSAS and Canadian GAAP reporting standards.
- Expertise in Digital Financial Systems (Great Plains and Quadrant Workforce Financials preferred).
- Ability to display initiative and leadership when handling multiple job responsibilities, setting priorities, problem-solving, meeting deadlines, and driving process improvements.
- Knowledge of project management principles, approaches and methodologies in order to coordinate and lead improvement initiatives.
- Experience at a managerial level in the health care sector.
- Exceptional planning and reporting skills with sound professional judgement.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build solid working relationships with the stakeholders in the organization.
- Experience with coaching, mentoring and motivating staff, using persuasion and influence.