Media Relations Manager
Banff Jasper Collection by Pursuit
Pursuit is a hospitality and attractions company that connects guests and staff to iconic places through unforgettable and inspiring experiences and strives to become the worldâ€™s leading provider of experiential adventure travel.
We deliver rich travel experiences to the global market in iconic destinations through its unique hotels and lodges, recreational attractions, ground transportation services, retail, food and beverage, sightseeing, tours and travel products. Today, the company enjoys strong perennial demand with operations in or adjacent to Banff, Jasper and Waterton Lakes National Parks in Canada, and Glacier and Denali National Parks in the United States in addition to FlyOver Canada in Vancouver, B.C., FlyOver Iceland in Reykjavik, and coming soon â€“ two new FlyOver attractions in Las Vegas and Toronto. The company is executing an aggressive growth strategy, expanding into multiple geographies and iconic locations that enjoy perennial visitor demand.
We are strengthening and improving our culture, our attractions and our operations to deliver unforgettable guest and staff experiences. We will work hard to refine and execute our strategic plan for the expansion of the business, accelerate profitable revenue growth through strategic capital deployment, drive strong organic growth of our existing businesses, and acquire unique and complementary businesses. We work tirelessly to build a strong entrepreneurial, fun and rewarding culture for our team members.What will you do in this job?:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Media & Communications, this role is responsible for developing and executing media relations and influencer marketing strategies to help enhance brand awareness and drive corporate growth. With a solid foundation of storytelling and exceptional writing background, this position will also support Pursuitâ€™s corporate communications initiatives including issues and crisis management.
- Develop strategic media relations plans to raise awareness of Pursuit and its individual attractions and travel experiences.
- Oversee the planning, management and execution of in-market media campaigns including developing and hosting group FAM trips, individual media visits, influencer campaigns, and broadcast productions.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with regional, national and international consumer and travel trade media.
- Demonstrate expert proficiency in public relations writing. This includes the development of press releases, key messaging statements, media briefs and additional communications collateral materials.
- Develop and nurture strong and mutually beneficial relationships with external tourism partners.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of current public relations reporting practices and an understanding of the role that reporting plays in measuring success of a communications campaign.
- Work with external PR agencies to deliver on objectives and strategies.
- Support Pursuitâ€™s social media strategies through the development and execution of influencer marketing campaigns.
- Attend and represent Pursuit at marketplace events, conferences, media dinners while nurturing relationships with media in-market.
- Maximize relationships internally (sales, marketing, guest experience, operations across all geographies), to augment travel PR activities across all markets.
- Assist the Senior Manager of Communications & Media and Core Crisis Communications team with key messaging development, media and social monitoring and other issues management support.
- Assist with media training official spokespeople across Pursuit.
- A minimum of 5 yearsâ€™ experience in media relations.
- University degree in public relations, communications or journalism preferred, or equivalent work experience required.
- Demonstrated track record of developing, executing and measuring successful media relations events. This includes executing earned and paid media campaigns as well as developing and executing influencer and creator events.
- Solid foundation and expertise in writing required.
- Experience managing stakeholder or client relationships and building and nurturing media relationships.
- Ability to work independently with the support of the larger marketing team, to manage high-level strategies as well as administrative tasks.
- Existing industry relationships with industry partners and North American travel media.
- PR Agency experience preferred.
Critical Competencies for Success
- Strong commitment to working as a team with an ability to foster strong working relationships, gain agreement on timelines and data requirements and manage both external and internal stakeholder requirements.
- Ability to work within a geographically dispersed team in a broad range of time zones.
- Resourceful, adaptable, resilient, and having a strong sense of self-awareness.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong planning, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to lead a project from conception to implementation and evaluation.
- Excellent hospitality mindset and both internal and external guest service skills.
- Strong sense of urgency.
- A natural drive and curiosity about the business and what â€œcould beâ€¦â€
This list describes at a high level what a Media Relations Manager at Pursuit does, but no job description can anticipate every single task, issue or project that could come up. Pursuit reserves the right to adjust, reduce, add or change job tasks as needed for the success of the business.
To handle this job successfully, any person hired must be able to perform responsibilities as described. Pursuit will make any reasonable accommodation to help a person with disabilities perform their job. This job is based in Alberta, Canada. Legal ability to work in the country where the role is based is required. Some travel may be required.
Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.