|Job Title: ||Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse (RPN/RN) |
|Work Site: ||Assessment & Treatment, Willow Pavillion, Vancouver General Hospital|
|Start Date: ||As soon as possible|
|Salary: ||$36.23 - $47.58 per hour|
Days off: Rotating
Come work as a Mental Health Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the Assessment & Treatment team at Willow Pavilion at the Vancouver General Hospital site. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse, you will:
- Provide individualized direct nursing care and brokerage services to a wide range of clients with severe and persistent mental illness, concurrent disorders and/or dementia.
- Be responsible for the full range of clinical practice and the client-centred rehabilitation program by working independently and as a member of a team.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Perform physical and psychosocial rehabilitation assessments.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care givers and family members to develop, implement, evaluate and modify individualized strength-based treatment plans.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Administer prescribed medicines, monitor client response and provide/demonstrate ongoing information to the client/family on activities of daily living, use of medication and side-effects and integration of illness to their lifestyle.
- Prepare and maintain client records according to established standards, participates in team meeting, engages in team planning and quality improvement activities and maintains and updates own knowledge.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or a Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Completion of a minimum 6 week or 240 hours of clinical practicum/preceptorship in a mental health setting supplemented by completion of coursework in mental health or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of concurrent disorders, substance use and abuse, harm reduction strategies including assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of conceptual models of psychiatric care including: person and family centered care, trauma-informed care, recovery model in mental illness and psychosocial rehabilitation methodology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact of social, cultural and family systems on health outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments and interventions such as facilitating group process, conflict resolution, crisis interventions, individual and group counselling.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans and anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and delivery of educational programs and materials for clients and families based on education theories, principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in performing autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.