Organization: Real Food for Real Kids
Location: On Site, East End of Toronto, ON
Job Title: Recipe & Process Improvement Specialist
Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 4:00am - 12:00 noon
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Real Food for Real Kids (RFRK) is a growing company on a mission to make real food the standard rather than the exception.
A multiple award-winning company recognized for excellence and innovation, we’re a leading healthy catering company for child care centres, schools and camps. RFRK proudly serves nutritious meals and snacks to thousands of children throughout the Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area every day. We’ve also recently launched our Real Food Kitchen Delivery service (https://realfoodkitchen.ca/) to get our yummy food directly into households.
Our Food Production Team is looking for a fantastic person who not only loves food, but can take a recipe from our Recipe & Product Development Specialist (similar to a Product Developer) and make it taste consistently amazing when produced on a large scale to join us as a Recipe & Process Improvement Specialist. If you like the sound of us so far, keep reading to see if you have the experience and skills needed for this rewarding role!
- Put Health First
- Find a Better Way
- Trust & Team
- Spread Good Energy
About the Role:
You’ll be principally responsible for taking recipes and specifications from the Product Development team and transforming them into large scale, consistently reproducible and cost effective production instructions. As the Recipe & Process Improvement Specialist you’ll oversee scaling & production trials, setting final product specifications and manufacturing processes for new and updated recipes. You’ll manage the integration of new products into the day to day Operations at RFRK while bringing new culinary skills and production techniques into the Real Food Kitchen. This is *not* a desk job - it is a very hands on role - you’ll be on your feet on the production floor or test kitchen a significant chunk of the time.
Some of the things you’ll get paid to do:
- Support production of recipes under real-world conditions for a high volume food manufacturing/complex catering business, scaling small-batch recipes into large-batch manufacturing instructions using % formulations and images
- Manage and train team members on sensory evaluation and recipe specifications.
- Identify opportunities to update existing recipes for improved food quality, increased client satisfaction, and operational efficiencies
- Explore new or alternative manufacturing methods and equipment
Testing & Analysis
- Conduct daily analytical testing of products to develop Quality Control specification parameters
- Collaborate, as needed, with the QA team to develop microbial and shelf-life specifications
- Create and verify nutritional data specifications & freshness date range criteria
- Lead and conduct shelf-life testings in collaboration with Product Design and QA
Key Performance Indicators
- Yield Accuracy
- Equipment Effectiveness
- Output Speed
- Completion of product trials
- Completion of product plan fulfilling project scope brief criteria
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in food manufacturing & R&D
- Natural alignment with RFRK Food values and mission
- Training in protocols such as HACCP, SQF, GFSI, BRC and CFIA standards
- Experience with Food Manufacturing ERPs
- BS or MS in Food Science or similar
- Intermediate to advanced understanding of food chemistry, shelf life, and recipe costing
- Knowledge of fresh and frozen QA concerns and food safety including HACCP, GMP’s nutritional and labeling standards
- Knowledge of the Safe Food for Canadians Act
- Experience with diverse food manufacturing and shelf life packaging machinery (combi ovens, mixers, steam jacketed kettles, blast chillers, vacuum sealer, food pumps, Cryovac, etc)
- Demonstrated success achieving cost, quality, timing and consumer appeal goals with product development projects
- Computer skills - Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Google Suite, nutrition analysis software such as Genesis R&D®, Food Processor®, FMP (Filemaker Pro) or similar associative database program typically called ERP
- Competency in statistical tools for continuous improvement projects
- Project and cost management experience a plus, including knowledge of ingredient sourcing and costing
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification
Working at RFRK comes with other perks too:
- Competitive salary
- Significant price discounts on our Real Food Kitchen online store
- Employee Savings Program (RRSP/TFSA Matching)
- Benefits program including alternative and preventative health treatments
- Participation in RFRK’s Profit Share Program
To apply, please upload your résumé and cover letter, including salary expectations, explaining why you’d be a great fit for this role!
Real Food for Real Kids is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
Real Food for Real Kids welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
No phone calls or emails, please. We’ll contact applicants that fit the bill, and invite them in for an interview.
Thanks for your interest in Real Food for Real Kids!
Copyright © 2020 Real Food for Real Kids, All rights reserved.