Registered Practical Nurse, Operating Room (Part Time)
Windsor Regional Hospital
The Registered Practical Nurse is accountable for the provision of care in accordance with the ‘standards of practice’ as delineated by the College of Nurses of Ontario. The Registered Practical Nurse provides care autonomously to meet the holistic needs of individuals experiencing less complex care situations with predicable outcomes and low risk for negative outcomes. When the RPN provides aspects of care in situation beyond this, they will do so in collaboration/consultation with the RN and other care providers.
- Candidate will be a diploma graduate of a recognized college or school of nursing or equivalent (i.e. certificate RPN with added courses in medication administration, phlebotomy and health assessment)
- Current registration as an RPN with the College of Nurses; required
- Current BCLS; required
- Perioperative Certificate; required – please provide a copy of your certification with your application
- Previous Operating Room experience; preferred
- Available to work all shifts as required
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills with an ability to set priorities
- Demonstrated strong patient/family health teaching skills
- Demonstrated effective professional, interpersonal, and therapeutic communication skills required
- Thorough knowledge of nursing principles, and demonstrated competence in procedures and practice in accordance with the Standards of Nursing Practice and entry to practice competencies for Registered Practical Nurses, of the College of Nurses of Ontario and regulations of the Regulated Health Professions Act.
- Demonstrates knowledge, experience and the ability to care for patients with the following: initiation and maintenance of IV therapy, administration of medication above the drip chamber, blood and blood product administration, blood glucose monitoring, nasogastric tubes, wound management skills, routine and additional infection control precautions, normal and abnormal lab values
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work in a collaborative team approach and to adhere to accepted standards of personal conduct.
- Commitment to continued professional development and learning.
- Must be able to work independently in a fast-paced, rapid turnover, high patient volume area
- Willingness to participate in process improvement
- Committed to the values of the corporation and to courtesy and compassion in patient care
- A positive work and attendance record is essential
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Basic computer literacy required e.g. email, clinical applications, intra/internet
Windsor Regional Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodation will be provided by WRH throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.