Renewable Solar Technician
Spark Power Corp
A Renewable Energy Technician is tasked with the service and maintenance responsibilities of a solar, wind, or energy storage facility. The technician must be competent and qualified to work on all aspects of the electrical, mechanical, and civil components.
- Perform all Electrical, Mechanical, and Civil work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Adhere to all Health and Safety procedures and policies including JHAs, SOPs, work instructions, etc.
- Complete routine Safety documentation before every job including tailgate meetings, electrical work permits, etc.
- Provide Regular and on-demand maintenance to Solar, Wind, or Energy Storage assets.
- Fulfill technical troubleshoot and support on varying types of electrical equipment.
- Complete general Reporting and documentation of all work performed on a daily basis.
- Mentor/train other technicians as necessary
- Work in a team-based environment and independently whereas necessary.
- Participation in on-call weekend services on a rotating schedule.
- Identify and provide feedback to issues and ongoing development of projects.
- Willing to work Overtime as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Site Specific Responsibilities
- Ownership/accountability of sites
- Keep the sites looking clean and tidy – buildings, vegetation, fences, gates, roads, etc.
- Ensure spare parts inventory is organized and clean
- Adhere to all site health and safety including signs, PPE, and documentation
- Detailed understanding of the technical aspects
- Energization/de-energization procedures
- Lock-out, tag out plans
- Understanding and access to latest drawings
- Support troubleshooting on all equipment and push to maximize performance/production
- Preventive maintenance activities
- Inspections completed in a professional manner with a focus on H&S and maximizing system production
- Follow OEM specific maintenance requirements in addition to company standards and industry best practices i.e. NETA MTS, CSA Z463, etc.
- Reporting to be comprehensive including photos and detailed descriptions of issues found and corrective measures taken
Skills & Abilities
- Communication — Excellent written, verbal, telephonic and digital communication with superb customer service skills
- Critical Thinking – Methodically and strategically approaching problems and tasks and making quick decisions to solve challenges
- Problem Solving – The ability to notice problems and the root causes early, produce a plan to correct the issue found. Efficient use of time and resources to implement the pre thought out plan.
- Attention to Detail — The ability to spot details at close and far range, noticing settings, operations, and site conditions that are different than the norm and adjust accordingly
- Repairing — Repairing all integral components of Renewable systems using the appropriate tools, experience with power tools and other equipment used in construction as necessary
- Troubleshooting — Determining root causes of operating errors and device failures, reasoning a corrective action and implementing a plan to accomplish the goal.
- Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences, understanding diagrams, drawings, manuals, and device instructions
- Digital literacy — Proficiency with computers in general i.e.; Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, applying firmware updates, writing reports, proficient in mobile application usage in either Apple or Android, accessing devices via ethernet or Modbus
- 1-2 years solar experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Post secondary education with an electrical or mechanical base is an asset
- ABET/EAC certification will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of CEC & National Electrical Code (NEC)
- Valid Driver's License with clean driving record
- Must be able to lift 34kg (75lb)
- Work may take place on ladders, platforms, and cramped spaces with constant standing and kneeling. Proper ergonomics as well as hand and body dexterity must be applied when working under these conditions
- Use of all necessary PPE. Hard hat, safety glasses, green tag safety boots. Cal rated gear, lifeline and harness, and hearing protection when needed.
- Technicians work indoors and outdoors, in businesses, schools, institutions, factories, and construction sites. There may be extremes in temperatures when working, both cold and hot
- Applicants with 309a license considered an asset
Spark Power Corp is committed to fair and equitable recruiting practices in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). Persons with disabilities are encouraged to come forward at any stage of the recruitment process to request accommodations, if needed.