Safety Specialist - PFT - Health, Safety & Wellness
Position: Safety Specialist
Department: Health, Safety & Wellness
Status: Permanent Full-time
Hours: Monday to Friday - 7.5 hour day shifts (0800-1600); Hours may be subject to change based on operational requirements.
Site: Oakville (travel to Milton & Georgetown sites is required).
At Halton Healthcare you will thrive in a health care culture and environment that embraces inclusion, high performance and flexibility with ‘exemplary patient care, always’ at the heart of everything we do.
We empower our people to be the very best they can be so they can make a difference for our patients and the communities we serve. It is an exciting time to join Halton Healthcare with the completion of our major redevelopment projects. Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital opened its doors in December 2015 and Milton District Hospital completed a significant addition to its clinical space in October 2017.
Halton Healthcaretakes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we arecommitted to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions.
Reporting to the Safety Team Lead, the Health & Safety Specialist is amember of the Health, Safety & Wellness Team and supports the development, delivery and monitoring of employee safety and prevention programs in alignment with legislation, best practices, and departmental and organizational goals and objectives. The focus of this position is to support organizational compliance with occupational health, safety and environmental legislation, guidelines and standards.
This is what you'll be doing:
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance of corporate health and safety programs to ensure that Halton Healthcare complies with all Occupational Health and Safety regulations, standards and guidelines.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of injury prevention strategies and safety awareness initiatives.
- Reviews all incident reports and inspection reports and initiates necessary follow-up action in consultation with internal stakeholders to mitigate workplace risks.
- Responsible for monitoring occupational health and safety data management for leading and lagging key performance indicators including but not limited to monthly, quarterly and annual injury statistics.
- Responsible for updating and maintenance of occupational health and safety databases such as MSDS Online and Parklane.
- Responsible for monitoring accidents and claim trends requiring further attention.
- In conjunction with the Safety Team Lead, assist with the development and facilitation of occupational health and safety training programs related to employee health and safety.
- In conjunction with the Safety Team Lead, contributes to the maintenance of corporate occupational health surveillance programs for regulated and controlled substances, biological exposures, etc.
- In conjunction with the Safety Team Lead, participate in the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Health and Safety Excellence Program.
- Acts as a resource for the receipt and resolution of Occupational Health and Safety inquiries received from all departments.
- Responsible for coordinating and/or conducting accident investigations for all lost time incidents, assisting with assessing problems and potential hazards, reviewing and advising on potential solutions, and making recommendations for improvements.
- Conducts research on emerging occupational health and safety issues.
- Lead the Respiratory Protection Program, which includes conducting respirator fit testing, the Hearing Conservation Program and the Occupational Health Surveillance program as appropriate (e.g. Asbestos Control) and others as needed.
This is what you'll need to do it:
We endeavour to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of compassion, accountability, respect.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline such as Occupational Health and Safety, Kinesiology, or Life Sciences is required.
- Certified Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) required or in process of completing.
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety required or in process of completing.
- 1-3 years related experience in health and safety management preferred.
- Thorough working knowledge and understanding of all relevant occupational health and safety and relevant environmental legislation, standards and guidelines required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Visio required.
- Current certification in first aid and CPR preferred.
- Experience using Parklane software is preferred.
- Working knowledge of WSIB & WSIB Safety Excellence Program preferred.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, team building and presentation skills.
- An understanding of workflow process analysis, incident investigation and risk management principles required.
- Excellent planning and organization skills with an ability to handle multiple competing projects with tight deadlines.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and negotiation skills.
- Must be physically able to do the job.
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required.
- Experience working in a healthcare setting considered an asset.
Date Posted: May 11, 2021
Internal Applicants Due By: May 18, 2021
Please submit your application via the Halton Healthcare website www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
Halton Healthcare is committed to providing accommodations (for people with disabilities). If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted onall hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.