Safety Specialist - TFT - Health, Safety & Wellness
Position: Health and Safety Specialist
Department: Health, Safety & Wellness
Status: Temporary Full Time (13 Month Contract)
Hours: Monday to Friday -- 7.5 Hour Day Shifts.Hours aresubject to change based on operational requirements
Site: Oakville (travel to Milton & Georgetown sites is required).
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we take healthcare to a new level to meet the urgent needs of ourcommunity's growing and aging population. We are adistinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
Halton Healthcare’s vision of Exemplary patient experiences, always , goes beyond just the patient experience; it has shaped our entire culture and remains at the core of every interaction in our organization, from our patients & families to our staff, physicians and volunteers. We believe in exemplary PEOPLE experiences always!
Reporting to the Director, Health, Safety & Wellness, the Health and Safety Specialist is amember of the Health, Safety & Wellness Team and supports the development, delivery and monitoring of employee safety and prevention programs in alignment with legislation, best practices, and departmental and organizational goals and objectives. The focus of this position is to support organizational compliance with occupational health, safety and environmental legislation, guidelines and standards.
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance of corporate health and safety programs to ensure that Halton Healthcare complies with all Occupational Health and Safety regulations, standards and guidelines.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of injury prevention strategies and safety awareness initiatives.
- Reviews all incident reports and inspection reports and initiates necessary follow-up action in consultation with internal stakeholders to mitigate workplace risks.
- Responsible for monitoring occupational health and safety data management for leading and lagging key performance indicators including but not limited to monthly, quarterly and annual injury statistics.
- Responsible for updating and maintenance of occupational health and safety databases such as MSDS Online and Parklane.
- Responsible for monitoring accidents and claim trends requiring further attention.
- Assist with the development and facilitation of occupational health and safety training programs related to employee health and safety.
- Contributes to the maintenance of corporate occupational health surveillance programs for regulated and controlled substances, biological exposures, etc.
- Leads the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Health and Safety Excellence Program.
- Acts as a resource for the receipt and resolution of Occupational Health and Safety inquiries received from all departments.
- Responsible for coordinating and/or conducting accident investigations for all lost time incidents, assisting with assessing problems and potential hazards, reviewing and advising on potential solutions, and making recommendations for improvements.
- Conducts research on emerging occupational health and safety issues.
- Lead the Respiratory Protection Program, which includes conducting respirator fit testing, the Hearing Conservation Program and the Occupational Health Surveillance program as appropriate (e.g. Asbestos Control) and others as needed.
We endeavour to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of compassion, accountability, respect.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline such as Occupational Health and Safety, Kinesiology, or Life Sciences is required.
- Certified Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) required.
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safetyrequired.
- 3-5 years related experience in health and safety management required.
- Thorough working knowledge and understanding of all relevant occupational health and safety and relevant environmental legislation, standards and guidelines required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Visio required.
- Current certification in first aid and CPR preferred.
- Experience using Parklane software is preferred.
- Working knowledge of WSIB & WSIB Safety Excellence Program preferred.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, team building and presentation skills.
- An understanding of workflow process analysis, incident investigation and risk management principles required.
- Excellent planning and organization skills with an ability to handle multiple competing projects with tight deadlines.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and negotiation skills.
- Must be physically able to do the job.
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required.
- Experience working in a healthcare setting considered an asset.
Date Posted : October 14, 2021
Internal applications due by : October 21, 2021
Please apply if you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
W e thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with Directive #6, Halton Healthcare has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination and Management Policy. All new hires must be fully compliant with our Policy as a condition of employment with Halton Healthcare. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a documented medical exemption as part of the hiring process.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.