Senior Environmental Scientist – Geochemistry (Mid-Senior Level)
ERM Consultants Canada Ltd.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced professional looking to advance their career with a global environmental leader, and to make a significant impact in successfully implementing ERM's global strategy.
- Play a key role in growing our business in Canada
- Provide senior technical expertise on major, multimillion-dollar projects
- Chance to have an impact with a rapidly growing team of water resource specialists delivering project work within Canada and globally
- Work out of our dynamic and vibrant downtown Vancouver, Calgary, or Toronto offices with the flexibility of working remotely/from home
We want to do great things; we need your help
ERM is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, and social consulting services with offices in over 40 countries. We have worked with many of the Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing. The breadth of experience over our 40-year history means we have an extraordinary track record and excel at taking on complex and challenging projects.
In Canada, our clients are primarily in the mining and oil & gas sectors, and we support water management through all phases of the project life cycle. We are currently engaged in exciting, transformative projects with major clients. Your work will contribute directly to the success of these and other projects.
As a Senior Environmental Scientist – Geochemistry with leadership experience, you will collaborate with a multidisciplinary team (hydrology, hydrogeology, geochemistry, aquatics, and toxicology), and focus on integrating these functions to develop field investigations and modelling studies that provide value to our clients. This is an opportunity to utilize your established relationships with companies, along with your technical expertise leading water-related environmental assessment and permitting for large-scale capital projects. In addition to technical execution, you will embrace the challenge of being a main point of contact for our clients. You will serve as a representative of our company, and play a key role building our business and winning new projects. Your big-picture understanding of our business, and ability to build strong client relationships based on trust and mutual benefit will be critical.
- Be the lead geochemist responsible for technical execution of existing project work related to geochemical characterization studies and ML/ARD management as inputs into environmental assessment and permitting for large-scale capital projects.
- Delegate work and serve as senior technical reviewer to ensure deliverables achieve client expectations for scope, budget, schedule, and quality.
- Lead, manage performance, hire and retain, inspire and mentor personnel for overall success of technical team.
- Deliver insights and value for our clients through technical analyses and the development of robust mass balance and geochemical models.
- Provide leadership and expertise to expand our integrated water management services to our client base in Canada. Serve as a key member of the “core” technical team to drive growth in the areas of environmental impact assessment, land planning, facility siting & permitting, risk assessment and water resources management.
- Capitalize on existing ERM client relationships to expand ERM’s profile and market share through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development.
- Contribute to business development of ERM’s global impact assessment and planning service area. Identify and develop new opportunities, prepare effective technical proposals, and take an active leadership role in developing new business with new and existing clients.
- Actively contribute to ERM’s international water resources technical community. Collaborate with other ERM global practitioners to execute projects. Participate on teams consisting of multi-disciplinary impact assessment professionals from multiple offices around the global ERM organization.
Who you are:
- 10+ years of consulting experience in geochemistry, water resource management, impact assessment and permitting.
- MSc/PhD in geoscience or related field. Registered professional in a Canadian jurisdiction.
- Well-developed team building and influencing skills; unquestionable integrity; and the experience, confidence, and stature to effectively address client and business needs and challenges.
- Solid grasp of the key regulatory drivers within the mining sector, as well as a high degree of technical competence and broad knowledge of impact assessment best practices.
- Recognized technical expertise by an established reputation in the marketplace, including positive reputation with key regulators relevant to environmental approvals.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain long-term relationships with clients.
- Positive outlook, collaborative, and inspired by the success of ERM as a global company.
Working with ERM
ERM has been delivering outstanding client services in Canada for over 35 years. We have over 150 employees across Canada. All of our achievements would have been impossible without our exceptional staff.
Our people are the heart of our business and we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive community. Here are just a few examples of how we take care of our people:
- Career mapping tools and resources to help you decide how you want to grow your career
- ERM Academy training programs backed up by mentoring and coaching
- Technical communities and Yammer engagement to help you interact with any ERMer globally
- Tuition assistance and reimbursement for relevant conferences, seminars, professional memberships and designations
Recognition Programs & Financial Benefits
- Annual bonus to eligible employees, and awards for going above and beyond
- ER supported retirement savings with our Group RRSP
- Vacation starting at 3 weeks
- Parental leave top-up
Top-notch Medical and Wellbeing Benefits
- Extended medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Life insurance and disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Best Doctors Program
- Exciting client events
- Fun social events organized by our Social Activities Committee
- Get involved in supporting organizations around the globe by collaborating with ERM’s international teams or through the efforts of the ERM Foundation
This is a full-time position. During peak activity, there will be some overtime required, and meetings with clients may not strictly happen between 9-5 as we work with clients in a variety of time zones.
Who We Are:
As the world’s leading sustainability consulting firm, ERM is uniquely positioned to contribute to the environment and society through the expertise and energy of our employees worldwide. Sustainability is what we do, and is at the heart of both our service offerings and how we operate our business. ERM and our partners are driven by a dynamic vision: By 2021 we will be the clear leader in our chosen markets, we will double in value and we will deliver on our promises to our clients, our people and our investors. For our people, our vision means attracting, inspiring, developing and rewarding our people to work with the best clients and on the biggest challenges, thus creating valuable careers. We achieve our vision in a sustainable manner by maintaining and living our ERM values that include Accountability, Caring for our People, Client Focus, Collaboration, Empowerment, and Transparency.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!