Underwriter - Casualty
Axis Capital Holdings
This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital – a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk taking and superior risk adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
Under general supervision and within established guidelines – market, analyze, review, evaluate, and monitor new and renewal casualty accounts. In your role, you will be responsible for the business development, growth, and profitability of a portfolio of business with a focus on new business generation from strategic broker partners.
The successful candidate will drive business results through strong underwriting, marketing, and consultative selling. The candidate will be expected to maintain high quality working relationships with brokers and internal business partners.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Underwrite a book of Casualty risks; determine acceptability and make recommendations.
- Price a profitable book of Casualty risks appropriate to the business, based on underwriting, financial, and competitive analysis and in line with company guidelines.
- Support business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives through sound underwriting and responsible marketing.
- Support strategic business plans designed to increase the presence of the business group in the market; retain the appropriate mix of business; and achieve overall growth and profit objectives.
- Respond to underwriting and marketing strategies and standards by executing a marketing plan that reflects local market conditions and, at the same time, meets growth and profit goals.
- As needed, develops specialized policy and endorsement language.
- Develop and maintain broker relationships to achieve positive outcomes.
- Occasional travel to key markets across Canada is expected.
Required Education/Training & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- CIP/FCIP, CRM preferred or working towards completing
- 2+ years underwriting experience in primary and excess casualty.
- Strong sales and marketing ability. Established broker relationships across Canada highly desired.
- Technical underwriting skills and a high level of knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.
- In-depth knowledge of Casualty lines of business and legal and regulatory guidelines in Canada.
Other desired skills and characteristics:
- Strong communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners.
- Advanced analytical and creative problem solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize.
- Strong broker relationships.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Energetic and passionate about the P&C insurance industry.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.