Account Manager Job Overview The account manager's role in the sales department is integral in ensuring the success of ...
Account Manager Job Overview
The account manager's role in the sales department is integral in ensuring the success of an organisation. Account managers develop sales policies and procedures, cultivate and manage relationships with customers and key accounts, and advance strategies that attract new customers and accounts. Account managers, like other account executives, often supervise staff members including clerical assistants and sales support personnel.
Some typical tasks and responsibilities of an account manager include:
- Managing an account portfolio to achieve established sales goals and targets
- Coordinating the activities of other members of the sales and support team to provide service to assigned accounts
- Developing budgets for promotions and sales activities
- Resolving conflicts with clients
- Identifying potential new accounts and developing ways to increase sales activity with existing clients
- Cultivating and managing the client relationship with all company departments
Account Manager Job Education Requirements
Most account managers operate at an executive level and have completed a four-year post-secondary degree in business administration, marketing, accounting, or related field. Most account manager jobs require several years of successful sales experience before being promoted to account manager.
Account Manager Job Market
The employment outlook for successful account manager jobs is above average to good. Sales is a large component of a company's success and proven account managers are always in high demand. The career path for account managers may also include positions such as director of business development, regional or national sales manager, director of customer relations, and marketing director.
Account Manager Job Salary Information
Account managers salaries are often a combination of salary and performance-based pay such as commission. Salaries vary greatly depending on the size of the company, the value of the accounts under supervision, and the industry or type of product. The median income for an account manager in September 2014 was C$49,129. The average salary range was C$35,700 to C$82,600 per year.